Simple vegan tomato quiche made with only 6 ingredients (plus water + spices). It has a classic shortcrust base, creamy tofu filling and sweet roast tomatoes.
With all the crazy stuff going on in the world at the moment, I thought I’d return to SIMPLE basic meals which are delicious and comforting. Conventional quiches are laden with high-cholesterol animal based ingredients. However, this vegan quiche has none of that and is still packed with PROTEIN!
It’s a really easy recipe but let’s go through this step by step:
How to make savoury vegan shortcrust pastry
Got flour? Got oil? You can make vegan shortcrust pastry! All you need to do is mix them until crumbly. Add a bit of salt for flavour and a dash of water to help the salt dissolve.
I used spelt flour for extra nutrition but you can also use plain flour. For the oil, I used olive as I love its taste. However, you can use any other liquid oil or even coconut oil or vegan butter.
When combined, the pastry should be soft and a little pliable. Pastry made with oil is more crumbly than pastry with butter but both still work well and taste delicious. For ease, I put my pastry right into my quiche/tart tin and pressed it against the bottom and sides to form a crust. Vegan olive oil shortcrust can be a little crumbly so it’s easier to create a crust this way.
Once you do this, bake it in a preheated oven for 10 minutes then set aside!
How to make vegan quiche without eggs
My favourite vegan quiche filling uses either traditional/medium-firm tofu or extra firm tofu. For this quiche, I used traditional tofu which creates a beautiful savoury custard-like consistency. All you need to do is blend the tofu with a dash of milk until smooth.
Tofu is a bit boring by itself so you NEED to add a few essential but simple pantry ingredients such as:
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Nutritional yeast (for cheesiness)
- Kala namak (for egginess)
- Salt and pepper
For simplicity, I topped my quiche with just fresh tomatoes. However, you can also fill or top your quiche with vegetables such as:
- Sauteed spinach or kale
- Roast capsicum
- Caramelised onions
- Vegan cheese
I hope you enjoy this vegan tomato quiche recipe!
Check out my other simple savoury recipes:
Easy Vegan Tomato Quiche
Crust (or store-bought shortcrust)
- 1 2/3 cup (200g) spelt flour, or plain flour
- 1 cup (100mL) olive oil, or vegan butter
- Generous pinch of salt
- Dash of water
- ~3 1/4 cups (800g) regular firm tofu, also known as 'traditional' tofu
- 1/4 cup (12g) nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kala namak
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (150g) tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the bottom of a 20 cm quiche tin.
- To make the crust: Add all ingredients to a bowl and until combined. The dough should be soft enough to be pinched between two fingers without breaking.Press into the tin to form a crust.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes and set aside.
- To make the filling: Blend all the ingredients except the tomatoes until it’s as smooth as custard. Add more milk to help the blender if needed. Pour the mixture into the crust and arrange the tomatoes on top.
- Bake the quiche for 40 minutes until the middle is no longer wobbly. Serve and enjoy!
- The quiche can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will respond as soon as possible. Rainbow Nourishments receives a high number of questions through social media and email and is unable to respond to each individual query. Comments on this post are more likely to receive a response!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and a star rating! This will help me, other readers and allow this blog to be seen by more people. If you post your creation on social media, please tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments.