Over the last few months, I’ve been spending more time on the weird space that we call ‘social media’ and my food business. I’m humbled by the influx of people who notice and compliment my creations. I’ve come from a background where everything I did was criticised… so receiving the most simple compliment or offer of assistance makes my heart melt. Some days, I wake up in disbelief about everyone’s support and love… I often have to pinch myself.
However, the thing is that I’m not working any harder than I previously did. I’m only putting more time into these things. I’m still a human and I still have many many struggles relating to food. Sometimes I create beautiful food, sometimes I create food that I cringe at the thought of.
I never want my blog to be just an online resource of recipes. I want it to stimulate conversation about food, life and everything else. I want people to know the real me so I can get to know you. I never wanted my Instagram to be just a portfolio of my photography. I believe in sharing ideas, talking and being in a community. I don’t enjoy having monologues with myself, I love hearing about what you think, like and don’t like.
On that note, lots of people have recently asked me what is my favourite all-time recipe. It would have to be my deep dish pizza quiche… and I recreated it for you guys. What is your favourite recipe of all time? If you are blogger, do you also feel like the spectacle of blogging needs to be broken down? Let me know your thoughts, and you can be anonymous if you want ;).
Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (recreation)
Sweet Potato Crust
Tomato pizza sauce
- 4 tomatoes, chopped, or ½ cup tomato paste or ½ cup tomato pizza sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- Oregano and other herbs, as desired
‘Ricotta’ and kale quiche filling
- 150 g extra firm tofu (see notes)
- 2 handfuls kale
- ¼ cup plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt, pepper and herbs, as desired
- 1/2-1 cup fresh vegetables as desired
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a round cake tin or pie dish with baking paper.
- In a food processor, whizz all crust ingredients until smooth and combined.
- Spread crust on bottom and lower sides of cake tin/pie dish. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until surface is dry to the touch.
- For the tomato pizza sauce: If you are making your own sauce, place all ingredients in a saucepan with a dash of water. Bring saucepan to boil then simmer until tomatoes have reduced to a sauce-like consistency. Set aside.
- For the ‘ricotta’ and kale quiche filling: In a food processor, whizz all ingredients until smooth and it forms a very thick paste. If it is not smooth enough, add more milk
- Slice vegetables thinly.
- To assemble pizza: Remove crust from oven. Spread tomato pizza sauce on base, then ‘ricotta’ filling, then vegetables.
- Bake pizza in oven for 45 minutes or until the crust starts to come away from the sides of the tin/pan and there is no more water leaking from the quiche.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by mixing all ingredients until smooth. Add more water for a thinner sauce. Set aside.
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with cheese sauce. Rest pizza for 10 minutes then serve!