Pizza is great, but what if you can transfer those flavours to another form of food, such as a pasta bake or a buddah bowl? This recipe is perfect for those who are craving a pizza night in but just don’t have the time to make their own dough (seriously, who has the time for kneading)?! It’s easy, very family and kid friendly and so quick to make!
This recipe combines two Italian dishes, pizza and pasta and has allllll of the typical Italian flavours including tomato, cheese, basil, oregano and olives. Win win, right?!
I bulked up the base with some capsicum and greens to help lighten up the dish. However, I must admit, my favourite is the cheesy bechamel-style sauce, which is rich, thick and oh so creamy. You can take it a step fruther by actually adding vegan cheese to your sauce.
And since it’s summer here, I decided to make use of my basil plant and garnish the bake with fresh basil and pesto!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
Pizza pasta bake
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- 2 cups passata sauce
- 1 capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh dark green leaves, roughly chopped (e.g. kale, spinach or any collard greens)
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add all pasta bake ingredients to a large casserole dish then mix until evenly distributed.
- For the cheese sauce, drain the cashews and add to a blender with the rest of the ingredients except the vegan cheese. Blend until extremely smooth.
- Add cashew mixture to a small saucepan with the vegan cheese. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes or until thickened and the cheese melts.
- Pour cheese over pasta bake in casserole dish.
- Place casserole dish in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese has turned golden and the capsicum in the pasta bake is cooked.
- Remove from oven then garnish with spoonfuls of basil pesto and fresh basil leaves. Serve warm.