No dairy, no worries! A super easy vegan alfredo which uses a few common pantry staples. The sauce doesn’t need any preparation and is gluten free!
This vegan alfredo pasta is creamy, satiating and you’ll probably just want to drink the sauce by itself!
As a child, I used to inhale alfredo pasta soo quickly that I’d get indigestion. We made alfredo pasta from a packet mix – pour, stir, cook and you’re done! The simplicity and convenience was great! I associated the creaminess of alfredo with desserts like ice cream, custard or cream. I basically saw alfredo pasta as a sneaky way to enjoy dessert at dinner. SO DELICIOUS!
However, in my adolescence, I developed an antagonism to cream and dairy products. I avoided alfredo pasta for about 10 years!
Vegan alfredo sauce
I was initially sceptical about how you could turn whole cashews into a creamy sauce. I gave it a go and was so extremely surprised! On my first taste, my eyes rolled to the back of my head and I hit nirvana. What have I been missing out on for the past decade?!?!
To make sure no one ever misses out on alfredo again, I crafted this recipe!
All you need to do is soak some cashews and blend them with any plant-based milk. I added sauteed onion and garlic for extra umami! I love adding mushrooms to my sauce, but I know there are lots of people strongly opposed to them so you could always substitute it for sun dried tomatoes or vegetables of your choice.
Customising the vegan alfredo sauce and pasta
Of course, you’re welcome to add extra vegetables or seasonings to suit your taste.
I’ve used this vegan alfredo sauce with regular pasta, zoodles (raw zucchini noodles) and gluten-free pasta and they all work perfectly! I do have a warning though – you may want to eat the whole batch yourself! I often make extra for my partner but I might often ask for it back so I can enjoy it myself, haha.
For a basil version of this recipe, check out my Basil Alfredo Zoodles!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I did xo
If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will respond as soon as possible. Rainbow Nourishments receives a high number of questions through social media and email and is unable to respond to each individual query. Comments on this post are more likely to receive a response!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and a star rating! This will help me, other readers and allow this blog to be seen by more people. If you post your creation on social media, please tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments.
Easy vegan alfredo pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Dash of any vegetable oil, such as extra virgin olive, (or a knob of vegan butter)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours (Use raw cashews for a neutral taste. Use roasted cashews for a nutty taste.)
- 1 cup plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup vegan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1/2 tsp any good-quality salt, or to taste
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup baby spinach, optional
- 4 servings of zoodles or pasta
- In a large saucepan over high heat, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until golden brown. Add the onion and garlic to a high-powered blender.
- Fill a medium-size saucepan with water and cook pasta according to packet directions. Skip this step if you are using zoodles.
- Drain the cashews and add them to the blender with the milk, nutritional yeast, cheese and salt. Blend until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Saute the mushrooms and spinach in the saucepan with a dash of oil or water until softened. Add the creamy sauce to the saucepan and stir until the cheese has completely melted. Add the pasta or zoodles and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide pasta or zoodles among 4 plates and enjoy! The pre-prepared pasta or zoodles can be stored separately from the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.